New York City , 1929
- Pearl Wallace - Heiress and New York socialite
- Iris Hillman - New York based journalist, Pearl’s best friend
- Silas - Wallace family lawyer
- We are introduced to our protagonist Pearl , and her best friend Iris in a New York bar. They are discussing the recent Wall Street Crash and Iris ’ need for a new story.
- Pearl returns to her apartment and finds a telegram from Silas , the Wallace family lawyer, informing her that her father has passed away… and that she now inherits the family island in Polynesia.
- Distressed, Pearl prepares to head home to the island and packs some things including a journal. It has been years since she and her father spoke and she is overwhelmed by the news.
- Just before Pearl takes off in her plane, The Pride of Bakersfield, Iris shows up and comes along for moral support.