Artemis Island , Polynesia
- Léon - Artemis Island 's groundkeeper
- Edwin Wallace - Pearl 's grandfather
- Margaret Wallace - Edwin's wife and Pearl's grandmother, deceased
- Agnes Wallace - Pearl 's aunt
- Pearl and Iris arrive on Artemis and are greeted by Léon , the groundskeeper.
- We learn that Edwin , Pearl 's grandfather, bought and designed Artemis Island , and died in a tragic plane crash previous year. He was an architect and had a wife called Margaret who is also deceased.
- Pearl finds her father Samuel 's will and notices that the lawyer, Silas James , now has power of attorney over her father's assets.
- The family tells Pearl that Samuel committed suicide after losing big in the stock market crash, and threw himself from a cliff on the island. Silas says that Léon found him and that the doctor ruled out any 'foul play'.
- Pearl doesn't believe it and investigates the cliff top. Her grandmother's ghost appears, and tells her: 'Your father was betrayed. Trust Grandpa. Don't take the gun. Find clues by my grave'.
- They have funeral for Samuel , and Pearl is wondering who to suspect... when Edwin arrives at the funeral banquet.